- Indonesia and Malaysia dominate the world market, supplying some 85 percent of global supply.
- Indonesia has the most oil palm plantations in the world with more than 700 plantations across Indonesia.
- The total area of oil palm-planted land in Indonesia is around 16.78 million hectares.
- The oil palm plantation sector and the national palm oil industry are the biggest contributors to the Indonesian economy.
- In 2019, foreign exchange earnings from the export of palm oil products reached around Rp. 246 trillion
- Throughout 2019, crude palm oil (CPO) output reached 51.8 million tonnes
- Forty percent of the total area of Indonesia’s oil palm plantations, or 5.72 million hectares, are smallholder plantations
- There are 1,731 oil palm plantation companies consisting of 162 large state-owned companies and 1,569 large private companies, spread across 25 provinces in Indonesia.
- Some 50 percent of the world’s vegetable oil needs, come from palm oil
- Meanwhile, 50 percent of the world’s other vegetable oils come from sunflower, soybean, coconut, peanut and cottonseed oil
Source: Kemenperin dan Dirjen EBTKE
More from Didiet Nugraha.
Forestry industry? Visit The Forest Scribe.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay on top of the industry's news because your informed opinion matters to the palm oil industry.